Head Image

Highway


Some people like to fall asleep
Gazing upon a starry sky,
While some prefer the tender embrace
Of absolute darkness around them,
And some like to drift off to
The rhythm of the ocean caressing the beach.
But to me the vastness of the universe
Is too incomprehensible,
The darkness too lonely,
And the ocean too intrusive.
What I like to see out the glass while I lie in bed
Is a highway, busy at all hours of the night -
To watch the trails of red and yellow lights rush by,
Punctuated by the occasional whine of a horn.
Through trials and losses aplenty,
Through late night conversations
And random spells of insomnia,
The Highway has kept me company -
Reminding me that while I lie here
Engrossed in my microcosm,
Life still goes on for thousands.
Each in their own little worlds
Driving on at night -
For money, for love, for necessity -
And though I may be lost in the maze of my dreams
The world does not sleep.
The highway pulses with life, come what may,
Beckoning me to rest - for later
I too have to play my part in this glorious struggle
To define myself amidst this crowd, and in doing so -
Become a part of it.

No comments :

Post a Comment